What to Expect During Your Donation
Donating blood with Community Blood Bank is a safe and simple process.
General Requirements for Donating
- A donor must be 17 years old (16 with a signed Parental Consent Form)
- Be in good general health and weigh at least 110lbs.
- Eat and drink plenty of fluids prior to donating blood.
- I.D. is required at the time of donation.
Steps to Donate
- Eat or drink something before leaving.
- Do not smoke for one half-hour
- Drink more fluids than usual in the next four hours.
- If there is bleeding from the phlebotomy site, raise arm and apply pressure.
- If faint or dizzy, either lie down or sit down with your head between your knees.
- You may resume all normal activities after about a half-hour if you feel well.
- It is best not to do strenuous work or exercise, or have alcohol, until after you’ve eaten.
Each unit of blood is typed ABO and if the blood is positive or negative for Rh factor.
Other tests conducted include:
- HBV (Hepatitis B virus)
- HCV (Hepatitis C virus)
- HTLV (Human T-cell Lymphotropic virus)
- Nucleic Acid Testing (NAT for West Nile virus)
It is unusual to find donated blood that carries disease. Those units of blood that are found to be infectious are destroyed, and the donor is notified confidentially.
The combination of pre-donation screening and this stringent testing make blood from Community Blood Bank extremely safe for transfusion.
After the blood has been divided into its components, passed all tests, and has been properly tayped and labeled, it is stored in large refrigerators and freezers at Sanford Medical Center or Avera McKennan Hospital. It is at this time when the blood is ready to be distributed to your local hospitals for patients in need.
The FDA regulates every step of blood preparation.
- For some reason you do not want your donation to be used.
- You become ill within 48 hours.
If you Experience…
If you experience significant arm pain that lasts 24 hours or more, or have other medical questions or concerns related to your donation, contact at one of our Donation Locations.