High School Blood Drives
Minimum Requirements to Donate Blood:
- Be at least 17 years old (16 years old with a signed parent consent form).
- Weigh at least 110lbs.
- Be in good health (You cannot have a cold, fever, or sore throat).
- Check the Donation Guidelines / Requirements page for more information.
Before the Blood Drive:
- Make sure you bring an ID with you (i.e. Student ID, Driver’s License, or Donor Card).
- Make sure you have had a good meal and drink plenty of fluids prior to donating.
- Make sure your coach says its okay to donate on the day of a game or event.
- Relax in the canteen; eat and drink before leaving!
- Resume normal activities after 30 minutes, and avoid heavy lifting for 24 hours.
- Eat well and drink extra fluids to help replace the volume you donated.
- Keep the bandage on for a few hours.
- If you have any bleeding, apply firm pressure to the site and raise your arm above your heart for 5-10 minutes.
- DO NOT smoke for at least 30 minutes after donation.
- Having proper iron levels are very important. If your iron levels are low, please take a look at our Iron Rich Food Pamphlet.
Setting up a High School Blood Drive
- Start at our Blood Drive Timeline to see where to start.
- Schedule your date (scheduling must be at least 2 months in advance)
- Start advertising and planning (related files are available below)